Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Cricket at Edgbaston

Tuesday, the 9th June was the 1st ODI (One Day International) cricket match between NZ and England.  Martin and I got tickets for this and decided to go and it took us nearly 2 hours to get from Walsall in north Birmingham to Edgbaston, just below the centre of Birmingham !!!  We had to walk half a mile to catch a bus to the train, get on and off the train and then 2 more buses and got there in plenty of time for the 2 pm start.  I am glad I wasn't by myself  as I would never have got there !!!  You don't realise just how big the big cities in England are.

We were in an open stand but had good seats about halfway up the stand and a good view of the wicket.  There were about 25,000 people there, not quite a full ground.  The weather was overcast with a slightly cold wind but no rain.
A view of the ground, NZ fielding and Boult bowling.
No need to tell you what happened except we lost !!!  I had Brits all around me and they never acknowledged me at all even though I tried to talk to them !!  A very biased crowd to say the least !!  It took us 2 hours to get back to the Walsall basin where Sue had taken the boat during the day, only 1 bus and 1 train ride this time, arriving there about 10 pm.  A good day out and I did enjoy the cricket and the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment